Apologies if you’re a little overwhelmed with the amount of conversation around COVID-19/Coronavirus, however, it’s important to us that you know we have a plan in place to continue providing the same level of service you would ordinarily expect from us.
We are closely following advice from HM Government and our own offices are closed to everyone except key staff. However, all of our teams can, and are, working remotely with full access to our tools, servers and telephone systems.
The government has announced that schools will close in the UK as of Friday 19th of March and that this year’s examinations will not go ahead. The government has said provision will be made for students to gain certification which will allow them to progress as usual. As yet we don’t know what this will entail.
Our advice to all students at this time is to continue studying as usual whilst we await developments.
If you were planning to take exams this year then make sure that you have digital or paper record of your exam entry.
the AQAs current position can be found here
Pearson/Edexcels latest information can be found here.
As guidance from the exam board develops, so will Oxford Home Schooling’s plans. At present, from the very brief information we have been given, It is clear that there will be a process that Oxford Home Schooling will need to go through. This will almost certainly include an internal moderation step. At present no tutor is in a position to offer any individual student a predicted grade.
Some centres are putting pressure on students to make a choice between going down the predicted grade route and entering for a later examination. We don’t yet know what the predicted grade route will look like but for those students who have worked consistently through their study period, submitted most of their assignments and had regular tutor contact we will be able to provide information to satisfy the Exam Board that a grade can safely be awarded.
If we do not have this verifiable evidence of achievement; for example, if you have not done the majority of your TMAs for whatever reason, if you have rarely had contact with your tutor or if you send us all your TMAs at once tomorrow, or in the next few days, we will be unlikely to be able to give you a grade which the Board or you yourself will be happy with. In this case, we suggest that your best option is either to withdraw from the exam altogether and get a refund of your entry fee or you should advise your centre that you want to sit in the alternative exam series which will probably be in the Autumn.
We hope to have more information next week and advise all students to hold off making a decision until we can see the whole picture. The exam boards allow students to withdraw from exams and get a refund of entry fees until the 21st of April.
The Dfe has produced a set of frequently asked questions about the cancellation of exams which can be found here
This – like the coronavirus itself – is an unprecedented situation for all of us. But our commitment to helping young people realise their potential hasn’t changed, and never will.”