Writing Tips: On Essay Writing
Well, let’s face it: you can’t avoid essay writing at school. It’s a vital part of learning language and also one of the skills that you develop when learning a foreign one. Therefore, you need to have some basic understanding of how to write them properly. An essay requires the particular style and structure of academic writing, which you need to use well in order to best persuade readers of the seriousness, validity, and credibility of your subject.
Here are a few tips to bear in mind while working on an essay:
- Do your research: This one is rather self-explanatory as you must be informed and ready to defend your claims through proper research. You should be able to not only find credible sources online, but also to know how to cross-reference these sources and evaluate their validity. Which leads to the next tip,
- Always properly support your claims with examples and clear evidence. You must avoid plagiarism, which is the act of using someone else’s words as your own without acknowledging that person.
- Get to the point and have a clear thesis: It is of importance that you never stray from the topic at hand. In order to best do that, you should provide your audience with a clear thesis statement and get to the point of your topic right away, from the first paragraph. This will not only allow you to keep track of your writing, but to also help your audience understand the relevance of your essay.
- Have a proper structure: In your essays, you should try to be organised and have a clear structure. This means that you should follow these simple guidelines: introduction, main body (several paragraphs, depending on the length and topic required) and conclusion. In your introduction, you should attempt to summarise what your essay is going to be about. Try not to be too detailed as all the details are to be discussed in your main body. To this latter you should devote each paragraph to one particular aspect of your topic, and try not to combine a lot of perspectives for lack of argument. Each paragraph should be on a single point, with examples and other supporting evidence.
- Lastly, your conclusion should contain a summary of what you have already presented in your essay. It is important to only summarise the main points and never add new elements.
- Edit and proofread: These are clearly the most important steps before submitting your paper. You need to edit your writing for inaccuracies in regards to the content, but also in regards to grammar and vocabulary usage.